A Rare Serious Post

In case you missed it, rock legend David Bowie passed away a few days ago from cancer. I always enjoyed his music (his duet with Bing Crosby was one of my favorite Christmas songs). So I did a Google search to see how others paid their respects.

What I found saddened me.

Apparently, he and a few other rock stars hung out with so-called "baby groupies." These were young girls who hung around and slept with rock stars. And by young, I mean age 12-15. One of them claimed to have been deflowered by Bowie.

Now, I am not here to debate his musical legacy. Like I said, I enjoy his music. But someone who would take advantage of a young teen (consensual or not, I think most people would agree that the girls were taken advantage of) is not a man as far as I am concerned.

And I can't help but ask (no, scream through the ceiling), "Where were these girl's parents?!?"

Of course, reading the articles further, I got my answer. They were either largely absent, or they just didn't care. Or in some cases, even encouraged the behavior.

I think of the dads I know of teen girls around that age. My brother-in-law. My stepsister's hubby. Numerous friends. Each and every one of them would go out of their way to protect any young girl they come across. They know how it's done. These are men.

I feel sorry for these young ladies. Sorry that the males in their lives failed them. Sorry that they felt the only way to get attention is to let an older guy take advantage of them. Sorry that they never knew healthy boundaries in their lives.

Sorry they got used by folks in high places.

Unfortunately, I have no doubt these power plays continue in Hollywood even today. And it scares the living fire out of me. Many young girls look up to Hollywood starlets. (A favorite game of mine while in line at Target is looking at the magazine covers and playing "Count the Kardashians.") Unless they have solid direction from the grown-ups in their lives, they may seek validation in unhealthy ways.

After all, they may think they are grown-up. (I sure did when I was that age.) But to anyone with any sense, they are still very young. And as Christians (heck, as a decent human being), we are instructed to take care of young ones. Jesus said that it is better for someone to have a millstone around his neck than to harm a child. These are still children.

Comments

Popular Posts