How The Tide Has Turned...

(Sorry for the crappy formatting. For some reason, Blogger doesn’t translate that well with iOS. I’m going to figure this out.)

It’s been about four years since I’ve last posted in this section of the Internet. But, in this time of turmoil for our country, our world, I feel the time is right for a comeback.

When I first started this blog, about four and a half years ago, I struggled to find direction for it. Was I going to be the cutesy, bubbly girl that I tried to be back in college? To be honest, that was never me. That was me trying to pretend to be something that I thought people would like, would enjoy.

And it certainly isn’t me now, with 20-plus years and a pandemic staring me in the face. And I feel like I’m better for it.

Even “2019 me” seems to be a stranger. This time last year, I was lamenting the fact that I wouldn’t be going to New York for the third time in as many years. At the same time, I anticipated going swimming, eating ice cream at Roxy’s and snow cones at Sherrie’s, visiting friends, watching fireworks, doing your normal “summertime” things.

This year, those things seem like a far-off dream.

The city pool will, in all likelihood, be closed this summer. Even though legally, restaurants are allowed to reopen their dining rooms, many (if not most) are choosing not to at this time. I haven’t been to my physical church in weeks, and probably won’t for some time. Zoom meetings have taken the place of in-person hangout sessions. The NBA, NHL playoffs? Gone. Movies at the theater? Nope. Craft fairs? That’s hilarious. Live music? Unless you’re watching it on your phone or computer, nope.

Even fall football is turning into a wait-and-see proposition. Let that sink in. A few months ago, that would have been unthinkable. Football is as much of an institution in the South United States as crazy hats and mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby. (Oh, wait, that’s gone too.)

My point is, things that I have taken for granted over the years, my whole way of life, is now gone. And there’s no real guarantee that it will ever return.

On Facebook, I wrote a short list of things I was looking forward to. Yet, even in writing it, I had some doubts. Will I ever go to a restaurant with a big group of friends after church again? Will I ever go window shopping, browsing the mall without a particular thing in mind I want to buy? Will I ever enjoy live music in person?

And yet, I am aware that I have it better than many. Thus far, no one I know has gotten sick from COVID-19. I still have my essential job, and am getting my full hours. I am thankful for that.

Comments

  1. Glad you're writing again! Our good Father has us in His care ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts