Talent Doesn’t Have To Be Genius


I have been told by a few people that I should write. Specifically, fiction. 

My brain works in funny ways. I have several ideas of things I could write about. My Pages app on my phone has many, many “starts” to stories that I have started...but never finished. 

Many of my story ideas come from dreams I have. I will write them down, and promise myself that I will flesh out the “story” later. Then, when “later” comes, I get frustrated. And the story never gets off the ground. 

My issue, I think, is that I can think about stories in my head. Sometimes, I think, “Man, this sounds terrific! This is Pulitzer material! Move over, J.K. Rowling, there’s a new writer in the house!” 

Yet, when it comes to translating my amazing thoughts into written material, it doesn’t work. 

It’s kind of like watching a movie, I think. Thinking of the concept is one thing. Writing the script is a whole different matter. 

For so long, I thought that just because my talent may not be great (or fully developed) it wasn’t worthwhile. So I set it aside. 

I saw something on Facebook the other day that resonated with me. Basically, it said that life was meant to be enjoyed, not monetized. That just because we perceive our talents to be mediocre, doesn’t mean that they aren’t useful. 

We can’t all be J.K. Rowling, or Picasso, or Aretha Franklin. But we can use our talents to bring joy to others. During this season of COVID-19, it may be even more important than ever. When so many people are expecting sorrow, a small thing like a piece of art, a story, or a dance video can bring so much joy. 

Comments

Popular Posts