Choices



Sunday. 

I am sitting on my front porch, staring off into the distance a bit. Next to me, a bag sits with several books in it. Books that I will probably pick up and read at some point. I need to keep my brain entertained somehow. 

A few miles away, my church is having its first meeting in months. People are singing, praising, worshipping. Celebrating. 

I am not there. 

Just a couple of weeks ago, I would have told you that I would have been there with bells on. I had already purchased a new outfit for it. (Two, actually. I was trying to choose between two outfits.) 

Yet here I sit, wearing shorts, no makeup, my newly-cut hair tied back. Both outfits still hang in my closet. 

Over the last few days, I have been following the numbers. 225. 222. 450. 336. And just a few minutes ago, 478. Numbers of daily positive COVID-19 cases in Oklahoma. Many of them in Tulsa County. 

Where, incidentally, a rally was held just yesterday. An indoor rally with little social distancing and few masks. 

And though I have loosened my quarantine in recent weeks, I have family coming to visit in a few days. I can’t risk getting the virus, of passing it to them. 

So here I sit. Alone. Listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers instead of worship songs. Phone in my lap, with Facebook uninstalled because I can’t handle seeing my friends celebrating without being a bawling mess. (Real talk, y’all.) 

We all have to make choices in life. It’s part of having free will. I spent the better part of my life trying to discern God’s will for my life. It was a question asked of me many times by various youth pastors, friends, roommates. 

 For me, it was a way to escape agency. If God would just decide what I should do, I thought, everything would go well.  

Only it seldom worked that way. The path of least resistance is not always the correct one. God doesn’t always open a window every time He closes a door. (More real talk.) Sometimes, you have to decide for yourself how to proceed. And that decision isn’t always easy. You don’t always get a “peace” about it, no matter how you decide. 

And sometimes, you have to decide between two situations that are not great. 

Just because a choice is obvious, doesn’t mean that it is easy.

I spent days agonizing over returning to church. Many tears were shed. Even now, as I sit looking at my front yard, I am second-guessing myself. 

People may say, “Maybe you’ll get lucky.” Well, in my world, luck plus $5 will about buy you a coffee at Starbucks. I haven’t survived forty-plus years on this planet based on luck. I have had to make smart decisions. And God has protected me, thus far, from my not-so-smart ones. 
 
And a lot of times, the decisions that I make aren’t the “popular” ones. (As an example, I strongly suspect that my vote in the upcoming election will differ from most people I know.) That comes, I guess, from seeing things a bit differently from other people. A blessing and a curse. 

But, at the end of the day, I have to make the best choice for me. Even if it isn’t the easy, smoothest, or most popular one. 

Comments

  1. As you know, our family chose to stay home from church as well. We all felt it was the right choice for us (for me especially being of the high risk end of things), BUT that didn't stop my feelings of being 'left out' of the celebratory return home. I muse that it will be a bit anticlimactic for us, but that just be exactly how God plans it for us (being all introverted like we are). I'm praying with you and for you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts