Single After 30

I am an anomaly.

See, I am a single, never-married thirty-something woman without children.

When I tell people this, I get the following reaction in some form: "Oh, honey, I am sorry to hear that. Oh, well, someday he will come. Don't give up!"

Or: "Well, to help that, you need to do this, this and this. That will attract more men."

Or: "Well you better hurry up. You don't want to be an old maid!" (Yes, someone told me that once.)

Or my personal favorite: "When you stop looking, that's when he will come into your life!" (I swear, if I had a dime for every time I heard that, I would be able to retire today.)

I get the underlying impression that something is wrong with me. That my life is incomplete without a male companion. That I must be doing something wrong if I am still single after thirty.

The thing is: While I am far from perfect, I have a lot of good qualities. And while I would love to have someone to share my life with, that is not the be-all-and-end-all of my existance.

Maybe, just maybe, mind you, God wants me to be single.

Comments

  1. Actually, it's a lot more acceptable to be a single female today than it was 30-40-50 years ago. I know lots of unattached (and never attached) women -- and they're happy! Do what you're doing and concentrate on what makes you complete. Much love, YKW

    ReplyDelete
  2. What she said! I know many women who are in their 30s and are single. I also know many women who are in their 30s and divorced. They simply got married too early and were not ready for commitment. They rushed into something because everyone thought that they should be married. It is what you want! Now, what you should do is... just kidding!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts