Taking Care of Myself



I got a haircut a few days ago. 

It was badly needed. My hair hadn’t been cut in literal months. I’m here to tell you, quarantine hair is the literal worst. Especially if it is as thick as mine. It was tangly, straggly, and near impossible to get clean. (Real talk.)

Of course, just when I was about to get it cut back in March, everything shut down. You couldn’t get a haircut from Edward Scissorhands. And woe betide the woman who attempted to do it herself. (Two words: Joe Exotic.) 

I decided to go with a significantly shorter style. My hair style hasn’t changed much since my senior year in college, when I decided to take matters into my own hands and cut it myself. (Again, would not recommend.) And I have to say, I enjoy the results. It’s much easier to clean and style, and it actually looks (dare I say it?) polished when I do style it. 

Growing up, my hair was a source of contention for me. It was thick and super-coarse. As such, it was difficult to figure out what to do with it. I had it permed a couple of times (with very humorous results). Brushing through it was torture. 

I also liked it long. Every time I had it cut (sometimes against my will), it would reduce me to tears. 

So, I was a bit nervous about going short. (Well, shorter.) Fortunately, the hairdresser I had this time around (at Supercuts it’s a bit touch and go) was very helpful about finding a style that looks good. 

It feels good to take care of myself. I put on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that it’s amazing how painting your toenails can make you feel human. To be honest, these little things tend to go by the wayside when I’m feeling overwhelmed. To wit, all of 2020. 

This is how I ended up spending the whole quarantine looking like a hybrid of Cousin Itt and The Lion King. 

But even if things don’t return to Capital-N Normal, I have come to realize that I need to make self-care a priority. If for no other reason than my own mental health. 

Comments

Popular Posts