Contemplations on a Cob of Corn

There is very little, to me, that screams summertime more than a delicious, ripe ear of corn on the cob. Ever since I remember, I have loved eating corn right off the cob. It evokes memories of cookouts, sitting on patios, crunching on the sweet kernels, blackened to the perfect amount of smokiness.

Now, I don't have a grill, so I can't cook grilled corn-on-the-cob. But I have found that oven-baked tastes almost as good, especially with butter melting on it.

Tonight, I cooked an ear of corn on the cob, then sat outside to eat it. It got me to thinking. And, as everyone who knows me knows, my mind can wander to the most random of places.

I started thinking about the Little House on the Prairie books. Those were my favorite books as a kid. That is one of the several series of books I am trying to build.

In the first book, Little House in the Big Woods, Laura tells about playing in the attic with her sister Mary. Mary had a rag doll, but Laura only had a dried corn husk wrapped in a towel. However, she loved this corn husk, and named her Susan. Even when Mary would let her hold her rag doll, Laura would only do so when Susan couldn't see.

Later on in the book, Laura did get a rag doll. She would play outside with it, playing "club houses" with Mary and her rag doll. Poor Susan was never heard from again.

Am I the only one who felt sorry for that poor corn husk, and wondered what happened to it? I am? Okay.

Comments

  1. Poor Susan -- it's not bad enough that she had really rough skin -- what kind of mother would just forget her child when a new one arrives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? Poor cornhusk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, is someone feeling forgotten when the new, outgoing, awesome, wamadine rag doll came along? I know I should have told you sooner, but the cornhusk eloped. I am sure he was a sharp looking cornhusk with a heart made of corn. They can't talk about that sort of thing in children's books. Well, back in the olden days they couldn't. They just simply stopped talking about her. As we secretly followed her in her life she had 1 little cornhusk daughter named Gertrude. She is now an extra on Toy Story 3. I think they cut her scenes when they found out about her mother's past.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts