Bye-Bye, Big 12

I guess I am feeling a bit nostalgic right now. I actually remember a time when the Big 12 was the Big 8. I actually remember TV ads where a car company called themselves "Big 8 Ford." For years, I thought the Big 8 was referring to cars, not football.

Now it looks like the Big 12 is going to be dissolved as of 2012. Many rumors abound, but some people think that OU, among other teams, will be joining the Pac-10, which will become the Pac-386.25 after the expansion.

My thoughts? Well, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the Pac-10 and the SEC have been getting most of the positive news coverage from ESPN and such media outlets for years, while the Big 12 was seen as the red-headed stepchild of college football. Now, some Big 12 teams will be IN the Pac-10. This COULD change our coverage for the better. Not to mention more of a recruitment pool, more money from television and what have you.

On the other hand, my old-fashioned self kind of likes things the way they are. We have a pretty good thing going: twelve teams, two sub-conferences. We play each of the teams in our subconference each year, and the other teams once every two years. Plus the Red River Rivalry, the Bedlam game and the OU-Nebraska series are legendary. (Well, maybe those don't have to change.)

I guess I could say I am ambivalent. (I like that word.)

Comments

  1. Am-bi-va-lent...hmmm I do know the meaning, but it is entirely to big of a word. I like the word equivocal. :)

    As for the Big 12, I didn't realize anything was going on. Football game is on, I watch it. I do not care who they are affiliated with. I am also the one who will cheer for the other team when they make a good play. If it is a good play they deserve an attaboy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good -- maybe you should share this on Facebook. I notice others are discussing it this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts