Grocery Pro Tip #2: Make A List

I promised to share some of the ways I am saving money on groceries, now that I am no longer using coupons.  I really need a creative name for this series! Eventually, I wanted it to encompass not just groceries, but life in general.

Well, my first grocery pro tip was to shop unconventional stores. My second one is to know what you like to buy...and make a list.
I think it is a good idea to figure out what you like to buy and use regularly in recipes.

The easiest way? Go through your kitchen and write down what you use frequently.


For instance, here is my list of "staples":

Halo mandarin oranges
Bananas (for making smoothies)
Whole wheat tortillas (great for making mini-pizzas and quesadillas)
Nut butters (peanut, almond, and Nutella...also like getting white chocolate peanut butter when available)
Oats (instant or regular)
Brown rice
Frozen veggies (I like fajita mix...a mixture of onions and peppers. Also I like stir-fry mix.)
Frozen berries (blueberries, blackberries and strawberries)
Eggs (I like brown ones.)
Honey
Mini chocolate chips (for smoothies or oatmeal)


These items are available year-round, are nourishing, and can make a variety of recipes. For instance, I can make an almond-butter-and-honey sandwich with the almond butter, honey, and tortillas. I make refrigerator oatmeal with oats, chia seed, honey, and mini chocolate chips. I can make scrambled eggs with the fajita mix and mushrooms. If I have cheese on hand, I can make a mini-pizza with mushrooms and fajita mix on top. The possibilities are nearly endless!

Linking up with Tips and Tricks

Comments

Popular Posts